Sunday, December 5, 2010
BW50 - December 5, 2010
The weather was indeed frightful: constant snow, snow-covered trails, temperatures staying around 25F, and extremely cold wind chills. But the group of 21 that started the First Annual Buckeye Woods 50K was an intrepid bunch. A little "weather" wasn't going to stop them.
This photo was from a training run on the BW50 course. There was no snow at the time.
A group of about five runners stayed close together during the first two five-mile laps. At the end of each lap, the runners would return to the start/finish picnic shelter to record their split times. Some brave volunteers were there to assist them. The word, "shelter" shouldn't be taken too seriously here - it was *cold* in there, as well as out on the trails. After six of the five-mile loops, runners complete one smaller one-mile loop to make it fifty kilometers.
Jon Brenenstuhl took the lead during lap three, and kept extending his lead throughout the rest of the run. Jon has run a couple of other ultras, but is mostly still new to the game. This was his first 50K. He won with a time of 3:51. Bob Pokorny was second in 4:10, and Connie Gardner was the first female with a time of 4:25.
There were ten finishers. Several of them were running their first ultra.
1) Jon Brenenstuhl - 3:51 (first 50K)
2) Bob Pokorny - 4:10 (first master)
3) Connie Gardner - 4:25 (first female)
4) Dan Horvath - 4:46 (first really old guy)
5) Debbie Scheel - 4:58 (first master, first ultra)
6) Ladd Clifford - 5:06 (first tall guy)
7) Rachel Smith - 5:11 (first ultra, started 14 minutes behind - net time was 4:57)
8) Brad Holzinger - 5:14 (first ultra)
9) Dave Koch - 5:25 (first old guy who wasn't Bob or Dan)
10) Kenny Welch - 6:09 (first ultra)
other starting runners
Still others participated but started later
Thanks again to the wonderful volunteers!